Consider the “Four Topics Approach” (or Four Box method) to ethical decision making on page 61, Table 2.1 in Butts (below). Apply this model to a challenging situation in your nursing career that required you to consider the ethical dimensions of the patient case and the role you played in providing care. Specifically apply and address the questions within each topic area as they pertain to your situation.
In your conclusion, discuss the impact of the Four Topics process. Did applying these principles shape your decision making in any way? Does this seem like a valid process for you to apply in your practice?
Your paper should be 1-2 pages. Adhere to APA formatting throughout and cite any outside sources you may use.
All the question should be answer in an essay format (no bullet)
|Medical Indications: The Principles of Beneficence and Nonmaleficence|
|1. What is the patient’s medical problem? Is the problem acute? Chronic? Critical? Reversible? Emergent? Terminal?
2. What are the goals of treatment?
3. In what circumstances are medical treatments not indicated?
4. What are the probabilities of success of various treatment options?
5. In sum, how can this patient be benefited by medical and nursing care, and how can harm be avoided?
Notes for this paperwork:
Base on the work that I do, (Care management) I need to apply a situation where I had faced the principles of Beneficence and Nonmaleficence.
As a care management I take care of:
· wound care (patient without treatment can develop an Osteomyelitis, severe infection (sepsis)
· IV for dehydration, (patient without treatment can develop arrhythmias, electrolytes imbalance, hypotension.
· high level of glucose in blood, (patient without treatment can develop Ketoacidosis that can lead to a shortness of breast and death.
· Medication Issues (patient without medication can end in an ER department with other complication, if patient felt due to an arrhythmia, low blood pressure, infection, severe pain.
· Emergencies and Urgencies (patient without treatment can develop Myocardial Infarction, Strokes, Respiratory syndrome, anaphylactic shock, asthma attack.
I give you some examples that can used to apply for a situation.