The law affects the business environment and every single business and organization
The law affects the business environment and every single business and organization. These laws and regulations often come to light in current events as businesses find themselves represented in the press, either on the wrong side of the law or arguing against a regulation.
- Choose a current event from the past 6 months involving a business from a legal perspective. You may choose a small business, a large corporation, or a non-profit, but there must be some legal case that you can analyze.
- Collect articles and information about the company, the law or regulation, and the actual dispute. Analyze the current event through your new legal lens. Discuss what is in dispute, why, what the ramifications are, and how the company could have avoided this issue. Use several terms from your textbook to discuss the case. Discuss from more than one perspective. What is the purpose of the law or regulation? Whom does it protect or what does it provide? Why might a business have difficulty abiding by the law? Is it ambiguous?
- If you do not know how to approach the event, ask your professor for guidance.
- Write a 3-4 page paper with a discussion of the issue. In your conclusion, address the decision of the court. If the court has already made a decision, state whether or not you agree with the decision and say why or why not. If the court has not yet made a decision, state what you think the decision should be and say why.
- In addition to the 3-4 page paper, include a title page and a reference page. Use and cite at least 4 sources in your paper, one of which may be your textbook.