Microsoft Word Project
NOTE 1: These topics are broad so you need to complete the assignment on just one aspect of one of these topics. For instance, for the topic Software Piracy, you might choose to discuss/research the effects of software piracy on the economy over the last 10 years, etc. If you are unsure about the scope of your topic, please contact me for clarification.
|Storage Devices||Communication Devices||Information Systems||System Unit||Input Devices|
|System Software||Application Software||Computer Networks||Network Topologies||Intranets|
|Extranets||Firewalls||Internet Services||Computer Hardware||Software Piracy|
|Collaboration Options||Managing Database Objects||Object Linking and Embedding||Advanced Database and Data Management||Integrating Microsoft Office Application|
Project Requirements FORMATTING REQUIREMENTS
Project must follow APA guidelines throughout.
· Double-spaced (including the reference page)
· 1–inch Margins
· 12 point professional font (e.g. Times New Roman)
· Headers including paper title and page number (except on title page)
Manage your sources using Word’s Reference tools
· NOTE 2: MS Word is not quite up-to-date with the latest APA citation rules so please verify and correct after using the Word Reference tool. Keep in mind that this is only a tool to help speed the process along Note: All sources in your reference list must also be cited in the body of text. Use styles for the section headings, captions, body text, etc.
NOTE 3: Use Heading 1 style for the main heading and Heading 2 for side headings. Spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc. must be correct. Include main and side headings.
NOTE 4: Main headings are centered headings. Examples of main headings are the Introduction and the Conclusion. You will decide what the specific headings for the body are, depending on your individual topic. Please see more information at Content>Course Resources>Sample Paper to Show Document Formatting.
· Minimum of 1500 words, maximum 1700 words
· Excluding table of contents, cover, and bibliographical pages
· Title Page (title page must be APA formatted). See APA link in the Course Resources Area in the classroom under the Content Tab for more details.
· Your Name
· Title of your paper
· Course and Section Number
· Table of Contents that is automatically generated
· Introduction – must contain detailed background information, develops a significant and compelling position, and gives a clear explanation or definition of the problem. A clear, engaging thesis (topic sentence) directs the reader toward the point of the paper. State the benefits or advantages and relevance of your topic.
· Paragraphs fully support the thesis with well-developed/ relevant examples, details, and quotes (where appropriate). The writer’s insight, analysis, and/or interpretations are relevant and enhance the explanation of the content.
· Paper is clear and focused, demonstrates original thought/reflection/insight.
· Contains an Excel Chart – Include a custom chart from an Excel Spreadsheet as an embedded object. The information on the chart must relate to your topic.
· Contains a PowerPoint Slide – Include a custom slide from a PowerPoint presentation as an embedded object. The slide content must be relevant to your topic.
· Conclusion – wraps up/gives closure to the main point of the paper, and goes beyond restating the thesis/introduction
· All information used must be in your own words unless using a direct quote. In other words, do not copy and paste information directly from your sources into the paper.
· List of Reference Page – must be properly APA formatted
· Include and cite at least 5 professional sources (at least two sources must be peer-reviewed Journal articles or scholarly sources). Clarification 1: Do not use Wikipedia or Web sites that have updated postings with no authors. You are strongly encouraged to use the UMUC library’s electronic database.
Generate your Reference list using Word’s Reference tools. Please note that all sources in the Reference list must also be cited in the body of the text.