ARTS 112 Final Paper
Due: Week 7 by Sunday midnight
Points: 180 points
Length: 4 Pages
View TWO (2) original pieces of art in your area and organize the following material into a paper. This paper will be completed based on skills you have gained in this course and information from the Introduction chapter of our text. Please note: If a museum is not available, try your public library, local community college, or an art gallery for sculptures, parks for statues, or government buildings for paintings. Also, don’t forget that architecture is an art form. Look around for a church or an interesting building. Art is everywhere! Address the following for EACH work:
Identification – (5 points = 1 point each for the following information):
- Artist: Who was the artist?
- Title of the work: What is the title of the work?
- Date: When was the work created?
- Media: How/with what was the work created?
- Location: Where is the work displayed?
Description – What does the artwork look like? (65 points total)
- Describe the subject matter in detail. (10 points)
- Using the “Stylistic Terminology” section of the Introduction chapter of our text, decide if the work is naturalistic, realistic, illusionistic, or abstract. Then decide if the work is idealized, stylized, or romanticized. Be detailed and specific in your explanation and note whether you considered the work as a whole or considered individual elements. (5 points)
- Using the “How Do We Talk About Art?” section of the Introduction chapter of our text, identify and discuss 5 formal elements of the artwork, in detail. For instance, don’t just tell me there were lines in the work, tell me what kind (straight, curved, horizontal, diagonal, thick, thin, implied, etc.) and tell me how they affect the composition. (50 points)
Interpretation – What do you think of the artwork? (20 points = 5 points each for the following questions)
- What was the artist trying to communicate?
- How did the artist communicate that message? (Symbolism, subject matter, or content?)
- How does the work make you feel? Why?
- Does the work have value and why? (types of value – material, intrinsic, religious, nationalistic, psychological – are discussed in the Introduction chapter of our text)
- 4 page paper (about 2 pages per work)
- The paper should be double spaced with a 1” margin and type size should not exceed 12 pts.
- Art History, as a discipline, utilizes the MLA style.
- Always cite your sources!
- Please read the document, “Important-Tips to Avoid Plagiarism” located in the Content section.
- Remember to proofread!
- Please submit your completed paper to the appropriate folder in the Dropbox section of the course.
Final Paper Grade Scale: 162-180= A, 144-161= B, 126-143= C, 108-125= D, 0-107 = F