Directions: Please answer the following short response questions. Each question should have a 6 to 8 sentence paragraph response. Remember to support your work with APA references and in-text citations. Please visit the Academic Resource Center for concise APA guidelines.
1. Define correctional counseling. Is correctional counseling different from other forms of counseling? Why or why not?
2. Describe and discuss two key, legal, and ethical considerations that must be attended to when providing counseling services within the correctional setting?
3. What is the most important legal issue that counselors must be aware of when providing services to an offender? Why is this issue so important and what are the possible repercussions if this legal parameter is violated?
4. Describe the difference between guidance and counseling? Are these two concepts mutually exclusive or can they overlap?
5. In your own words, describe the concept of stress? What are some of the physical and emotional consequences of stress? What is the likely result of prolonged stress that is not properly defused?
6. How would you define cultural competence? In your own words, describe why it is so important that counselors understand the essence of cultural competence, especially within the offender population.
7. Explain and describe two of the most common barriers to treatment.
8. Define the concept of stigma. What are some of the origins of stigma especially as it relates to counseling?
9. What is the difference between covert and overt racism? Provide two examples of each. Is one type of racism more destructive than the other? Why or why not?
10. What is meant by the concept of a melting pot? How is this related to the significance of counselors being culturally competent in their ability to effectively provide services?
PART II: CASE STUDY
Directions: Review The Case of Chung Ming on page 44 of the text. Develop a treatment plan for Chung Ming. Your final document should be at least 2-3 pages and adhere to APA standards, including in text citations. Please visit the Academic Resource Center for concise APA guidelines.